“I’ve learned what it truly means to be Canadian and in turn I’ve been inspired to make a difference in the world, however small it’s been.”
There is so much division in the world that I felt that I needed to do something about it. Because I am drawn to improving the relationship with those native to this land and those who colonized it, I thought that symbol of allyship would help in strengthening said allyship.
I explored setting it up as a commercial interest, starting small and building to a full range of branded products but for whatever reason, it never caught on. However, I believe that there are more people like me and so I decided that it needed to be on the internet. Not to make money, but to make a difference through a gentle awakening.
There is so much of my life in this mark. When I wear it I not only stand in allyship with Indigenous People but also with every marginalized group. Yes, every child matters, AND stop Asian hate, AND Black lives matter, AND protect transgender men and women, AND no to antisemitism, AND no to Islamophobia, AND LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE. For me, it’s like the Canadian flag at a time that, when affixed to a knapsack, brought smiles throughout Europe, like the one I’ll have when I see someone weaing my cap.
The maple leaf at the centre represents colonial interests in North America. The green and blue bands on the outside represent the land and water surrounding us. The orange between them and the maple leaf represents the Indigenous Peoples who protect the land and water from colonial interests.
- Support Indigenous Peoples as they protect the land from destructive, extractive practices.
- Adhere to the principle that all individuals should have an opportunity equal with other individuals to make for themselves the lives that they are able and wish to regardless of: race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, or pardoned offence.
- 100% cotton chino twill
- Unstructured and low-profile
- Six-panels with 3 1/8″ crown
- Permacurv® visor
- Buckle closure with grommet
- One size fits all (6 5/8″ – 7 5/8″)
In gratitude to the hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and Sḵwx̱wú7mesh speaking peoples, the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations who have stewarded their unceded, ancestral territory since time immemorial.